Entering the Promised Land and The Walls of Jericho Fall
Read Joshua 3-6
Print/ Download Questions -- Entering the Promised Land and The Walls of Jericho Fall
Take out the maps and ask the children to:
- Find the Jordan River on the map.
- Why is the Ark of the Covenant so important?
- What happened to this river when the priests,
carrying the Ark of the Covenant, put their
feet in the water? (Josh 3: 13-17)
- What does this event remind you of? (parting
of the Red Sea)
- Why do you think God did this?· Do
you think it is possible to part the water?
Point of information: In 1927, some earth tremors
caused a shift in the dirt, which blocked the
Jordan River in just about the same place where
Joshua and the Children of Israel crossed. It
was stopped up for over 20 hours. Taken from The
Awesome Book of Bible Facts by Sandy Silverthorne.
- What have the children of Israel been eating
for 40 years? (manna and quail)
- What is your favorite meal?
- Do you think you could eat that meal everyday
for 1 year? 40 years?
- What will the Children of Israel get to eat
now? (Josh. 5:12)
Read Joshua 5:13-15
- What happens to Joshua that is very similar
to Moses' experience? (Josh. 5:13-15)
- What else did Joshua experience like Moses?
- Why do you think this happened to Joshua?
- Now that Joshua and the Israelites are across
the Jordan River, what happens next?
Read Joshua 6
- What kind of a city was Jericho?
- Could they walk right in and take over the
- Why not?
- What instructions did God give Joshua and
his people? (Josh 6:3-5)
- Why do you think they were told to just walk
around the city?
- What weapons were they going to use?
- What was God teaching them?
- What were they to do with the things they
found in the city? (Josh. 6:18-19)
- What happened on the seventh day? (Josh.6:20)
- What lessons did God want the Children of Israel to learn about conquering Jericho?
- How realistic do you think those instructions were?
- Would you have believed the wall would fall down just from walking around it and shouting?
- Who was saved from destruction? (Josh. 6:17,
- Did the spies keep their word to Rahab?
- Why is it important to keep your promises?
- What lessons did God want the Children of
Israel to learn about conquering Jericho?
- Archaeologists believe they have found Jericho and that the walls of the city fell outward in a circle. What does that tell us about the validity of this story?